Colossus Project

Tuesday 27 January 2015

BearMan 3D Character - Work in Progress

I have been getting into Dungeons & Dragons recently with the release of the new fifth edition rules.  So I decided to model a character to fit.

The idea is a barbarian who has taken the "Path of the Totem Warrior".  This means they are closely associate with animals and nature, being able to call upon an ancestral guide and adopting aspects of these creatures.  This guy is very bear-like.

I am aiming for quite a stylised look, with exaggerated proportions.  But I also want a balance, and not have it too cartoony - Like the games DOTA2 and World of Warcraft.



Here is my block out so far.  I need to add more smaller things and parts to add interest.
Here I added other parts to create more interest, including a warrior belt with furs, an evil claw and bandages

I have made a low poly version and started to hand paint textures using Substance Painter & Photoshop
For the end product I am aiming to have a low-poly/real-time character.  I really have too many triangles and the textures are 2x 4096px, which is pretty large.

There are a few different outcomes to publish; Zbrush clay renders (quickest), Zbrush with poly paint (quick), and then low-poly game renders.  In the future I will try more posed Zbrush renders, touched up in photoshop.  These are the most impressive and often involve some form of composition, and with little regard for real-time viability.  What I have here in the "T-pose" is pretty boring to look at and doesn't show the model in the best light.

No comments:

Post a Comment