Colossus Project

Sunday 8 February 2015

February Update: Banner Saga Inspired me (thanks Stoic)

I have been trying out a different art style in Photoshop this week, and I'm quite happy with the results.

I have got inspired by a lovely game called The Banner Saga, which pays homage and borrows a bit of art inspiration from older cartoons such as Lord of the rings, and games like Dragons Lair.  The technique for these older cartoons often involved rotoscoping, and totally hand drawn cells for animation,

A screen shot from the Game Dragon's Lair (1983)
The main things I stole were;
1)  A muted and minimal palette
2)  Strong line-work, which is also minimal
3)  Coloured lines - I normally use weighted lines, but by using colours instead of thickness it changes the whole feel.  Making sure never to use pure-black is a good start.
4)  Iron-Age theme - By not having metal armour, or anything too fantastical (magic/demons etc) it feels more real
5)  Human aspects - By not depicting them fighting or blowing things up you are drawn into the details of their clothes, their posture and accessories more.  It's quite an interesting way to tackle some fundamental character design ideas... Rather than "Its an angry barbarian with a huge hammer smashing something, or with ornate and over-sized features and details all over the place with rim light and dull+shiney materials for no particular reason.

picture 1: A Spear Maiden (If that's a thing?)
I am happy with the images and style - It helps me stay away from typical "Hollywood" art which is basically aimed at kids or someone I am not.

Let's be honest, the world is full of bad remakes, and throw-away art that is so formulaic it is annoying.  So maybe we do need to start looking further back to re-vitalize the styles people get to see.  The Pixar fad is waning, and I think Marvel will run out of heroes sometime as well.

The latest miracle in popular cinema and concept art!
Above is an example of what is popular imagery wise.  Unfortunately for me I have been exposed to sci-fi art loads recently, and follow an artist or two who did some concept work for the film.  So for me it looks just like a lot of other sci-fi concept work I have seen, but with Mila Kuniz in the middle.  It might be a good film - I don't know, but personally I have no interest in it.  There will be a lot of explosions, and a plot twist with an open-ending for a sequel.  If we're lucky there will be a lava zone, ice zone, city (in the sky?), ocean, desert landscapes we sweep past with the action.

Anyways, here is the second picture I did - Sticking to my theme pretty close.
Picture 2: Warrior Chief
I'm going to carry on with the them and try creating more characters, trying to keep them different enough to keep me interested, yet the same.  When looking for a job it is good to show you can adapt on a theme while retaining it's soul.

My fave from this series - Have had a few comments comparing here to Ygritte from Game of Thrones

No comments:

Post a Comment