Colossus Project

Monday 14 July 2014

Polcount "Newb" Character Challenges

I'm keeping myself very busy at the moment & having fun to boot!  I have been doing a few character mini-projects.  Above are the concepts to make along with a link to the forum.

It's my first go at posting and doing stuff with polycount, but I have seen many of their pages as it is basically the bible of game art - With professionals sharing information and current techniques.

They have a few specifications you can adhere to if you choose; This is basically picking what format the game assets will be for...
"Mobile" = 2k Triangles, and 512 pixels x 512 pixels texture maps
Medium = 16K Triangles, and 1024px maps
High = 32K Triangles and 2048px texture maps

So as a challenge I am doing the first character "Mech" - which is quite cartoony in proportions and character with a limit of 2K triangles and 512px maps.  This should make it friendly (ish) for mobile gaming

Here's a wire-frame of  my Mech character
Here are the 512px textures - Not exactly there yet
I have been using a new program called Substance Painter, which I really like as it feels natural & intuitive
I am going to try and get him/her in Unreal Editor 4, maybe with a walk cycle.  I have only just got UE4 so need to break my teeth & think now is a good time.  P.S it's awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment